Beignets are a New Orleans favorite but why wait to visit the Big Easy when you can enjoy them at home? This deep fried pillowy pastry dusted with sugar is especially popular during Mardi Gras but can be enjoyed any time of year.
Beignets are delicious with coffee and just one bite takes you right back to the French Quarter. Interested in an easy recipe for beignets? Allow Fine Dining Lovers to show you how to make this French delicacy.
Easy Recipe for Beignets
Here is what you’ll need for 18 beignets:
150 gr (1/2 c) of flour
25 cl (8oz) of water
70 gr (1/4 c)of butter
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
zest of one lemon
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1. Start by boiling the water in a large saucepan with salt, sugar, butter, cinnamon and lemon zest.
2. When the water boils, add the flour all at once.
3. Beat with a wooden spoon until the dough comes together and doesn’t stick to the pot.
4. Add the eggs one by one, beating until they are incorporated into the dough.
5. Heat the oil in preparation for frying.
6. Shape the dough into balls and gently drop them in the oil.
7. When the beignets are golden brown remove the donuts from the oil. Place on paper towels and sprinkle with icing sugar. Enjoy!